final report of activities and recommendations of the nexus network
The Sustainability in Turbulent Times report gives a review of what the Nexus Network has achieved over its three year lifetime, and also draws out several recommendations for UK Research and Innovation as it looks to foster more interdisciplinary research in environmental and other challenge areas.
Nexus Network Event reports
We run a series of workshops on nexus-related topics, to provide spaces for debate and engagement between researchers, business leaders, policy makers and civil society.
- The Nexus, Resource Conflicts and Social Justice workshop: Nexus Resource Conflicts Justice workshop
- Transdisciplinary Methods for Developing Nexus Capabilities workshop: Nexus Methods discussion paper
- Natural Bridge: Exploring Business-led Action from Nexus Thinking workshop: Natural Bridge Nexus Network event summary
- Values and Valuation workshop – Improving Decisions at the Food, Water, Energy and Environment nexus: Nexus Network Workshop Values Valuation
Nexus Network funded activity reports
We fund projects and placements to support our aims of bringing together researchers, policy makers, business leaders and civil society to develop collaborative projects and improve decision making on food, energy, water and the environment.
We awarded the Networking grants in April 2015 to enable researchers to build inter-disciplinary research collaboration networks, and to establish connections with civil society, policy and business communities, to engage them as knowledge partners in the co-design of research proposals on nexus topics.
- Shocks to the food-energy-water nexus: Nexus Shocks Network What We Are Learning? and research paper ‘Understanding barriers to decision making in the UK energy-food-water nexus: The added value of interdisciplinary approaches’ doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2016.03.014
- The Domestic Nexus: Domestic Nexus Report
- The Nexus in Parliament: Nexus issues in parliament Report
- The Agroecology Network created the the Agroecology research network website.
- The Network of Organic Resource use in rural Africa’s outputs are on the project page.
- The Nexus Brexit: final report
In July 2014, we commissioned a series of thinkpieces to help scope and define nexus approaches and stimulate debate across the linked domains of food, energy, water and the environment. Read the thinkpieces below
- Exploring the Nexus through citizen science: Fradera thinkpiece
- Competing demands for land: Sharmina thinkpiece
- The bottom-up approach to energy, food and water security in West Africa: Bhattacharyya thinkpiece
- How can Impact Investing integrate a Nexus Approach?: Dahlmann thinkpiece
- Fast Moving Circular Goods 2025: Charnley Walker Kuzmina
- How can we ensure better use of organic waste materials for food, energy production and water use in Sub-Saharan Africa? Research paper ‘Sustainable use of organic resources for bioenergy, food and water provision in rural Sub-Saharan Africa’ doi:10.1016/j.rser.2015.04.071
- Services and Slums: rethinking infrastructures and provisioning across the nexus: Thieme Kovacs thinkpiece
- Imagining a sewerless society: Martin Cruddas Hutchings thinkpiece
- Governance of the nexus: from buzz words to strategic action: Stein Barron Moss thinkpiece
- Nexus technologies, urban circulation, and the co-production of water-energy: Williams Bouzarovski Swyngedouw thinkpiece
- Approaches to knowledge co-production at the food, water, energy, and environment nexus: Harris Lyon thinkpiece
- Nexus thinking: can it slow the Great Acceleration? Reynolds Cranston thinkpiece
Nexus2020 brings together business, academics, policy makers and civil society to determine the most important questions that need to be answered around food, energy, water and the natural environment to inform business practice. Read the summary report: Nexus2020 Summary
Dr Anna Krzywoszynska, Post Doctoral Research Associate at Durham University, spent several months in Defra in 2015, as the Nexus Network-Defra Fellow. Download her report here Defra-Nexus Network-Fellowship Report
NEXUS SHOCKS FELLOW